Sunday, December 4, 2011

Marwencol


My idea of a perfect documentary is Marwencol. This movie teaches us that pain and suffering can be useful. Marwencol is an imaginary town, created by Mark, a man recovering from trauma after being severely beaten. Mark was an alcoholic cross dresser and a gifted artist, who was beaten by thugs after revealing that he was a cross dresser. He had to relearn everything and find an artistic coping method after waking up from his coma. In the town he created good always triumphs over evil and Mark’s alter ego is always in the company of beautiful women and loyal friends. Mark’s memory loss purified him, erasing his alcoholism but preserving his true spirit. He remained an artist and a cross dresser, learned to express his true self without fear and received deserved praise and attention for his art.  Marwencol is the story of how a man overcame his obstacles through the power of creativity. I felt proud of Mark and indebted to the filmmakers for bringing to light this amazing story.

Here are some other documentaries I loved. If you think I should add to this list, please tell me what I’m missing.

Grey Gardens
Bill Cunningham New York
Babies
Shakespeare Behind Bars
The Queen and I
Exit through the Gift Shop
The Weeping Camel
Capturing the Friedmans
Encounter Point
Born into Brothels
Why We Fight
Grizzly Man
The Up Series
Genghis Blues
Man on Wire
The US vs. John Lennon
Jesus Camp

2 comments:

  1. Very happy to see this review! I'm sure I will think of a slew of others, but a couple to add to the list would be A Certain Kind of Death and Bus 174.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I don't know if I'll be able to watch A Certain Kind of Death. Bus 174 looks interesting. Did you ever see "City of God"? That movie was hard to watch, but really good.

    ReplyDelete