Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Gone With The Typhoon

In Jeju this weekend, a typhoon kept me corralled indoors for most of my trip. Relaxing in a chic little restaurant one night, I drank wine and drew in my sketchbook and talked to the guy working there. He asked me where I was from and I said, "Oregon, next to California." I always put Oregon in a California context so people will nod knowingly. This guy said, "Portland, Oregon," and I said, "Yes." I guess there was no need for a condescending geography lesson. Then he totally blew me away when he said, "Jimmy Maks." We got to talking about jazz. He plays the upright bass and has been to Portland. I think he might know more about jazz than I do. He told me which jazz clubs to check out when I'm in Seoul: Evans Jazz Club and Palm Jazz Club. I am so thankful I met that man.

I explained to my travel companion, Asia, that I required alone time so I could draw. She asked me during our trip, "How can you live if you're inspired every five minutes?" I know I'm not the most entertaining person to travel with. During a cab ride, I mapped out a crime story. I remained silent for most of the trip, thinking about scenes to write and draw. Maybe I'm turning into Barton Fink.


To show my gratitude for granting me alone time, I brought Asia a milkshake when I returned to the bed and breakfast one night, only to have her remind me that she's lactose intolerant.


We stayed at the Tae Gong Gak. The owners, Sylvia and Peter, are the nicest people in the world. I didn't get to see much of Jeju because of the typhoon but I did get to walk along the beach and sit on some rocks and read during a sunny couple of hours. I'll definitely return to Jeju. It's very easy for me to get to. And next time, I'll climb Mount Hala, the tallest mountain in Korea. Now I really wish I had some challa bread, the other thing I miss just as much as jazz clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment