Saturday, June 16, 2018

Feels like Yesterday

I feel as though not a day has passed since my last time in Istanbul. It's election time again, so everyone is bombarded with propaganda. Banners with Erdogan's face seem to have outnumbered homages to Ataturk. Vans with Erdogan's face on the side barrel down streets, blaring their political messages. I can remember some of the stressful aspects of living here: the crowds, the politics, the noise. But I also remember everything I love about Istanbul: the ferry rides, the food, the smell of roasted chestnuts, nargile, and spices. I miss seeing old friends and having intelligent conversations while walking down Bagdat Caddessi, dipping into coffee shops or Marks and Spencer to check out their sale racks. I miss Istanbul. I miss the students I taught here. I was telling friends one night that my ideal place to live is beautiful, with art and culture, friendly people, and a stable government. "Good luck with that" was the response. Does such a place exist? My friends and I visited some terrific restaurants in Kadikoy, my favorite being Şiraz, a lovely Persian restaurant. When you're enjoying exquisite food with good company it's easy to forget the stress that comes with living in a big chaotic city. Then you can just focus on the good things in life.








No comments:

Post a Comment