Thursday, February 18, 2010

I had a good day

Tonight I went to a mixer for artists called Art Spark. I bought a beer and wandered around, wondering if everyone there was an artist. A woman invited me to play with clay at a small table. This must be Art Spark's version of a free sample giver at Costco. The clay was hard at first and I had to loosen it up by rolling it around before I could shape it. I am the same way at social events where I don't know anybody. I made a turtle and set it down with the dogs and dinosaurs other people had made. Then a woman came over and introduced herself. Her name is Amy Buchheit and she is also a turtle enthusiast. Small world. She showed me pictures of her artwork and explained to me that one portrait was done with bubbles. I'm still trying to figure out what that means. The portrait is beautiful and I think whoever the woman is, if it is a real woman portrayed, should feel honored. I know I would be if I were depicted so beautifully, like one of the elegant ladies in a John Singer Sargent painting.

After Art Spark, I went to a mentor appreciation party, where I played fun trivia games and ate ethnic cuisine. I work as a mentor at IRCO (Immigration and Refugee Community Organization) and I love it.
My day was off to a terrible start and now I feel glamorous and lucky. I love it how days can take unexpected turns for the better. This morning at 7 AM, I was walking through the park blocks on my way to work when out of nowhere a blond girl jogged past me and screamed in my face. I screamed and dropped my coffee, which I believe was her malicious intent. This girl just ran away and I yelled after her "What the hell is wrong with you?!" It's kind of funny now, but at the time, I felt like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Really really mad.

I prefer serene turtles to joggers with Tourrette's. And now for one of my favorite videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment