Monday, April 13, 2020

Morbid Poem (Inspired by current events)


If I were a skeleton

I’d hang in a corner


Preferably in an art room

One without a chalkboard

Although I suppose the dust would cease to bother me

Students would contemplate the architecture of my bones

More than they ever contemplated English composition

They would relate to me more than any fictional character

Even if I died long before they were born

They would gaze into my sockets and soliloquize

Declaring me a fellow of infinite jest

Even though “prickly elitism” is more like it

But it’s rude to speak ill of the dead

And besides, I’d be anonymous right down to my marrow

To impressionable minds my empty skull would impart wisdom

Deepen their sense of human fragility 

A student in the simple act of scratching a knuckle

Would understand their flesh is ephemeral



No comments:

Post a Comment