Thursday, April 1, 2010

In The Flesh

When I was browsing the huge collection of graphic novels at the Portland State Library, I was looking for covers that featured real people, no superheroes or monsters, although sometimes I'll gravitate toward cutesy animals. I picked up "In The Flesh" by Koren Shadmi and I was blown away as soon as I started reading. Each story is about a twisted relationship, ground in reality, but wafting through a realm of magic. My favorite story is "What Is Wrong With Me?" I like it because it shows the contrasting activities of two people after they just spent the night together. The stories go from funny to serious, and I think they were arranged that way on purpose. Each story is tinged with sadness, so this book really pushes the boundaries of human emotion, in a good way. Reading this book is like drinking too much at a party, laughing with friends and then inadvertently crying over some sensitive topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment