Thursday, April 15, 2010

In the mood for music videos

When I was a little girl and I saw Lisa Loeb's video "Stay," I thought my future was assured. I knew that when I grew up I wanted to be a spectacled, mousy-haired woman with a bias for black dresses. At 26, I am exactly what I thought I would be . . . at least as far as appearance goes.

Another video I was obsessed with when I was younger was "Let Forever Be." I love how it zips back and forth between this woman's pink and silver nightmares and her black turtleneck existence. It reminds me a little of the Steve Martin book "Shop Girl" and of "Pig Tales" by Marie Darrieussecq, two weird books about women who sell frivolous products in department stores. I always imagined that this video took place in London and that this girl would make a fascinating character in a work of fiction.

I am enamored of the writer/director Michel Gondry. He directed "Let Forever Be" and the Foo Fighters' "Everlong." He is probably best known for writing and directing "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "The Science of Sleep."

In his music video, "Lucas with the lid off," Gondry echoes the song's fusion of old-fashioned and contemporary with black and white scenery, reminiscent of classic movies. I want to live in this video! It makes me feel sooo good. I hope everyone who watches it enjoys it just as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment